“By having a comiXology-powered store and reader integrated with our existing new and back-issue comics website, we will provide our customers with even more access to the comics they love while increasing their loyalty to us,” said Chris Powell, General Manager and CRO of Lone Star Comics and mycomicshop.com. “Having seen comiXology’s Retailer Tools and Pull List services, we trust comiXology’s technology to help us thrive in a market where customers are interested in both print and digital comics. ComiXology will help us provide the one-stop shopping that customers are looking for.”
I can’t wrap my head around this. Did record stores ever try and sell you MP3s?
I see this is the last lifeline brick & mortar shops will/should ever get.
While the debate didn’t have a clear winner, the stances were clear: Kirkman wishes more creators at DC and Marvel realized how much money they could make by going independent. Bendis thinks Kirkman’s sales are too high to be a reasonable example, finds his Marvel deal (including a page rate, royalties and placing Powers at Icon) preferable and kept talking about the value of trade paperback reprints.
Creators, on the other hand, seem to be a bit more of a mixed bag. While Mark (“Irredeemable”) Waid famously loves his iPad and the new distribution channels of digital, Mark (“Kick-Ass”) Millar recently brought the question of creator payment from digital to the forefront. That means its time for that Funnies Business tradition: Let’s Do The Math. Let’s start out with Millar’s public outing of the Comixology revenue share: Apple gets 30% and then the remaining 70% is split between Comixology and whoever owns the comic. (This is not the first time I’ve heard this formula and I suspect it’s a relatively standard one for the various entities with smartphone/tablet/web comics platforms.)
TFAW.com:How do you feel publishers have responded to the digital comics format? Have there been any changes in the way they produce comics that you’ve seen?
DS: Publishers have responded positively, as it’s a great channel to reach new readers and make some incremental revenue. Most major publishers have not adjusted how they produce comics, although I have heard tales of lettering sizes getting a little bigger to have them more readable on the iPad, but haven’t actually seen that other than digital-first comics.
How do you think the relationship between print and digital formats is going to work in the future?
Digital is the new newsstand, and I think the relationship will function in much the same way the print and newsstand relationship worked until the 90s when the newsstand outlet dried up for most publishers.
Over the last week, Skottie Young, Chris Eliopoulos and Katie Cook posted some of their comics as low-cost DRM-free digital downloads. I bought ‘em both and loaded them on an iPad. Great stuff, highly recommended.